Welcome ROCmommas, ROCpoppas, and Friends!

Have fun with your kids - that's what it's all about. If you're looking for fun places to go in Rochester, NY (ROC), awesome
crafts to make, and yummy treats to bake with your kids - as well as some ideas for Date Nights - then you've come to the
right place. Welcome to ROCmomma. Happy reading, and please share your comments. Thank you!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

An Apology, or perhaps, A Confession

I know, I know. My posts have been either sporadic or absent lately. We had a nice stay-cation last week and took the boys on little field trips here and there. I have lots of posts that are percolating in my head about the places we went: Adventure Landing in Greece, NY; pedal boating on Irondequoit Bay; Dinosaur Mini Golf in Niagara Falls; late-night-Tuesdays at Seneca Park Zoo...oh, the places we went!

However, that all has to wait until next week.

This week, our laptop is occupied each night. After the kids are asleep, my husband and I have been watching the second season of Game of Thrones through HBO on-demand. Dirty dishes in the sink, blog posts to write, bills to pay - too bad! I need to know what's happening to the Starks, what the Lannisters will do next, if a Targaryen will sit on the Iron Throne again. Who can be trusted? Who is back-stabbing whom? Who will survive another episode? It's mesmerizing. And a bit dizzying.

Maybe you are rolling your eyes at the thought of watching Game of Thrones, but I've never played D&D or Magic The Gathering. Yes, I like Lord of the Rings, but I wouldn't hang a poster in our house or buy any commemorative figures. I've never been to Comic Con.

You don't have to be a geek to like Game of Thrones. But you do need a strong stomach!

There are beheadings, more than a fair share of misogyny, only a handful of characters with any redeeming qualities, and heroes who are murdered while dishonorable, selfish, monsters become powerful. There's a reason why "Go Medieval on your ass" is a saying.

For all the horrible people and disgusting acts in Game of Thrones, there are characters to love. Tyrion Lannister (played by Peter Dinklage) is the comic relief, and a voice of logic among the chaos. And the Starks: Robb, Arya, Bran, Catelyn, Jon Snow - I find myself thinking about them during the day, wondering what will happen to each of them, how they will survive.

There is love - emotional and a gratuitous amount of physical, good versus evil, natural leaders versus leaders by birth-right, war strategies, family versus duty, tons of conflict, and a teeny tiny bit of magic, too.

Read the books, watch the shows, or both. You just might get caught up in it all, too! We watched the first season through AppleTV by ordering the episodes through iTunes. Then we decided to add HBO to our service so we could watch season two on-demand, and we'll be able to watch season three as it airs in the spring. It's going to be a long wait.

In the meantime, I apologize for neglecting the ROCmomma world and I promise to post again with relevant information very, very soon. As always, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Blogging tips