Are you looking to make the most of this summer? Then it's time to make a Checklist of SUMMER FUN with your kids!
One of my fellow ROCmommas saw the list hanging in my kitchen and told me that she had never heard of half the places on our list. I wondered how many other families are not aware of these wonderful locations in the Rochester, NY area...so it seemed like a good thing to share.
If you're not in the Rochester area, we can still help you make your own list.
3 Easy Steps to Make Your
Checklist of SUMMER FUN!
Step 1: List all the places to visit on a sunny day.
*What are some places to visit animals? Or farms with pick-your-own fruit available?
*What parks and playgrounds are close by? Are there any spray-grounds or spray-parks, water parks, beaches, or lakes in your area?
*List any outdoor miniature golf locations as well as other outdoor attractions.
Step 2: List all the indoor places to go on a rainy day or when it's unbearably hot out.
*What museums are in your area?
*Are there any indoor family entertainment centers or bounce-house centers in your area?
*Do you have access to any indoor swimming pools?
*Think about locations specific to your children's hobbies.
Step 3: List all the locations that would be fun to visit, but are more than a few minutes away.
*What cities or towns are about an hour away? Are there any attractions that would interest your kids? Think about zoos, state parks, beaches, farms, and museums.
There you have it! Hang up your list and try to check off as many as you can before school starts.
For all my fellow ROCmommas and ROCpoppas, here are some ideas for your Checklist of SUMMER FUN in the Rochester, NY area.
- Lollypop Farm (Fridays: storytelling at 11 a.m.) - Visit the dogs and cats inside the main building, rabbits and more in the barn, plus lots of farm animals along the walking path in the back.
- Wickham Farm (Tuesdays: $2 mini golf games) - Activities are available for a fee: jumping pillow, mini golf, batting cages, & train ride. Plus feed the goats, sit on a tractor, or get some ice cream.
- Powers Farm Market - Feed the animals (bring quarters) and stop inside the market for a huge, freshly-baked cookie.
- Powder Mills Trout Hatchery - Feed the trout! (bring quarters)
- Seneca Park Zoo - There's always a lot to see and do. Be sure to visit the new babies: orangutan, tamarin, and lions!
- Mendon Ponds Park - Be sure to check out Wild Wings from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, or Friday.
- Kings Bend Park - Playground, plus a good spot to watch trains go by.
- Kreag Road Park - Playground, sandbox, picnic tables, basketball and tennis courts, and baseball diamonds.
- Tinker Park - Playground, duck pond, and nature trail.
- Veteran's Memorial Park, Calkins Road - Several playgrounds and picnic tables.
- Erie Canal - Great walking path from Schoen Place in Pittsford or near Perinton Park in Fairport; great for spotting boats and kayaks.
- Camp Arrowhead Pool and Sprayground (YMCA members only) - Open weekdays 4:30 - 8:00 p.m., weekends 11:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Camp Eastman Sprayground - Sprayground and dry playground; great spot for picnics. (Click here for directions.)
- Seneca Lake State Park Sprayground - Open 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. weekdays; there is a parking fee.
- Pineway Ponds Sprayground - Sprayground and dry playground; covered picnic tables.
- Ontario Beach
- Roseland Waterpark - Check website for coupons.
- Seabreeze - Check website for coupons.
- The Clubhouse - Mini golf, go karts, and indoor arcade. Check web site for daily deals and coupons. (e.g., Tuesday = 60 tokens for $10; Sat/Sun until noon = $12 for unlimited go karts and golf plus 10 tokens)
- Adventure Landing - Mini golf, indoor arcade, batting cages, etc. Check web site for daily deals and coupons. (e.g., All You Can Play on Mon-Thurs until 6 p.m. and Sat. until noon)
- Long Acre Farm - Outdoor kids' activities, farm market, and more.
- G and S Orchards - Pick your own fruit.
- Green Acre Farms - Pick your own fruit.
- Whittier Fruit Farm - Pick your own fruit.
- NY Museum of Transportation - Only open on Sundays; step onto real train cars, see the model train display, and take a 1-mile ride on a real trolley.
We visit Wickham Farms almost year-round.
- The Strong National Museum of Play
- Rochester Museum & Science Center
- Planetarium show
- Library - be sure to ask your librarian about their summer reading program for kids
- Jungle Jolt
- Bounce It Out
- Chuck E. Cheese
- Bowling - School-age children can bowl one FREE game per day all summer at participating AMF lanes, including Bowl-A-Roll in Rochester, NY.
- Swim at the Eastside YMCA (YMCA members only) - The indoor family pool has some fun sprinklers and other features to make the water even more fun for kids.
- Edgerton Model Railroad - Open to the public the last Saturday of each month from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Lots of fun at the library!DAY TRIPS:
- Letchworth State Park
- Browns Berry Patch - Pick your own fruit, Barnyard Adventure activities for kids.
- Buffalo Zoo
- Rosamond Gifford Zoo, Syracuse
- Buffalo Science Museum
- Genesee Country Village & Museum
- Penn-Dixie Dig Site
|Digging for fossils at Penn-Dixie.|
We hope this list turns your summer into one exciting day after another. Be sure to Post A Comment and share your favorite summer spot! As always, thanks for reading.