I'm pretty sure I started calling autumn my favorite season because it happens to hold my birthday. But it is, hands down, the best season for so many other reasons. Here are just the top ten.
Top Ten Things to Love About Autumn
1. Opening all the windows to let that perfectly comfortable weather into your home. The air is crisp, the humidity is gone, and the cross-breeze is wonderful.
2. Football. Personally, I do not care about football. However, my ROCpoppa is a Buffalo Bills season-ticket holder and a member of two fantasy leagues. Football makes him giddy and happy in an adorably childlike way. So, football makes me happy in a very roundabout way. Go Bills.
3. Halloween decorations. As a kid, there was nothing better than Halloween at my Grandma's house. She had nine kids - some of my aunts and uncles are only a few years older than me - and they would go all out to decorate the house. There would be life-sized coffins and tombs made of painted cardboard boxes and filled with vampires and mummies, respectively, made from old clothes and paper mache. They would bring fallen leaves inside and scatter them all over the floor. They would take old curtains and tablecloths to make crazy costumes, a little a la Sister Maria and the Von Trapps. They were notorious for movie-inspired costumes: Wizard of Oz, Arsenic & Old Lace, Rocky Horror Picture Show to name a few.
Then there was the Witch's Parts game. Everyone would sit in a circle and my Grandma would turn off the lights. She told a story about a town where kids disappeared in the woods...eventually the parents found a witch's cottage in the woods with the bones of all the kids who had disappeared...they killed the witch and this is what remains: her eyeballs (we'd pass around two peeled grapes), her hair (a mess of yarn), her teeth (unpopped popcorn), her stomach (cooked and cooled spaghetti with a few cleaned chicken bones stuck in), and on and on. We would squirm and squeal as we passed the witch's parts in the dark, and we loved every minute of it. Looking back, I can't believe we weren't all traumatized by that story! Hmmm.
But now when my five-year-old wants to decorate early in September, I don't really mind. I love putting up Halloween decorations, and making new ones each year. I've even been collecting some new ideas on Pinterest!
4. Hayrides into a pumpkin patch. It's worth all the hay stuck to your bottom to go out into a field and pick your own pumpkin. There's a sense of ownership you just don't get when you pick your pumpkin from a table or bin.
5. The fall TV season. We don't watch as much television during the summer. Maybe it's because there isn't much on; maybe it's because we're so busy. But now that fall is here, I'm looking forward to curling up on the couch for Fringe Fridays, Once Upon a Time, New Girl, Happy Endings, and Modern Family. Fingers crossed that Elementary remains as fun as the pilot episode, too.
6. Watching the kids jump into a pile of freshly raked leaves.
7. Filling the closet with sweaters, and packing away the swim suits. Sweaters are so cozy, and much more forgiving during the lost battles of will power that occur around Halloween candy, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, and Christmas cookies.
8. Apple picking! We start 'em young in the ROCmomma household; my older son went apple picking for the first time when he was just shy of four months old.
9. Warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream. Yum!
10. A home that smells like fresh apple crisp is baking in the oven at all times. Thanks to Glade Expressions Oil Diffuser in Fuji Apple & Cardamom Spice, this is possible. The diffuser is cute, with the cut-out leaves, and it really does smell like something wonderful is baking.
What is your favorite thing about autumn? Post A Comment below to share. As always, thanks for reading.
<img src="https://img.bzzagent.com/image/gladeExpressions.jpg?Type=activity&Activity=9365102339&Campaign=5855213675&Uid=1356141&token=626ca890acbb6f850cc0977c1b32c40a" alt=""/>
Disclaimer: I am a BzzAgent and received Glade Expressions Oil Diffuser to try at home. However, I did not receive compensation and all opinions contained in this blog post are my personal opinions.